Oh Henry

After a slow and boring start this week got busy very quickly. On Wednesday I went to volunteer frisbee and later in the evening went to a Chinese restaurant, which was quite tasty, and I got the chance to meet a load more VSOs and the like which was good. I met a couple of girls on Project Trust, post A-level gap year students who are here for a year teaching in a distant town that you can only get to by boat overnight up a river. The whole town has two phones and no mobile reception, apparently the best way to get in touch is by post. Sounds like quite an adventure.

The following day was the beginning of a two-day sports event for Saints, although most were out I actually went into work as it was a chance to have a go at the network with no-one trying to use it. We made some good steps - one of the problems is the limited speed of the internet connection so we are routing everything through one server which can help monitor and ration use as well as speeding things up by storing frequently accessed content. We will need to tweak it and have some redundancy as at the moment if that server goes down (or I break it through tinkering) everything has to be put back the way it was. A task for next week I think...

That evening I went to the Pegasus hotel, a famous hotel by the sea wall in Georgetown for a Scotiabank/UNICEF fundraiser. It was good fun, with a fashion show and some reasonable buffet food which was what you might expect in a British hotel - for the first time in my life perhaps it was nice to have some veg as they're not too big on that here otherwise. There was a good band who did everything from Unchained Melody to calypso, and one of the singers invited me to go with the band around on a trip out of town some time, which could be fun. At home I sometimes have some hermit-like tendencies, but here I'm just following up every lead I can to see where it takes me.

A few entertaining thoughts: I found a chocolate bar the other day called "Oh Henry!"; it's Nestle so I don't know why they don't have them in the UK. It was like a twix-snickers type thing. The other thing I find amusing but which is the norm here is to refer to a shower as a bath, someone will announce they are going for a bath and then go and stand under a standpipe...